Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Great Web Escape

On a Friday evening, my daughter, daughter-in-law and I walked around the backyard with the dogs darting through the woods. All of a sudden, my dauther stopped in her tracks and screamed. There in front of her was one of the largest spider webs I had seen in the backyard. We all sort of freaked out for a second trying to think how big the spider might be. It had woven its web starting on the corner of a swingset, but yet it hung through the yard, away from the swingset. We could not see where that tricky spider had attached its silky web, but thought it must somehow be connected to a tree a few feet away.

The next morning it was cold, wet and just starting to rain when I walked the dog to the backyard again. Out of the corner of my right eye, I saw a movement. I jumped back thinking it must be that giant spider out cruising on its web.

I was wrong. It was a dragonfly that was caught in the web. It was struggling so hard to get loose. I flew back to the house and grabbed my camera as the rain started to come down harder. I tried to set up a couple pictures of the dragonfly, but it kept moving so fast and the rain was coming down, so I didn't do a good job getting a picture of it.


I realized that I didn't want the spider to eat the pretty dragonfly, even though I know how the food chain works. I took a stick and moved it through the web, freeing the dragonfly. It fell though, rapidly to the ground. Thrashing and turning, the web was still holding it captive. I moved the stick under the dragonfly until it could get its legs on the stick. Then it shook once and off it flew. Freedom!

I have now been told, that since I stole the spider's food, that it will come looking for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment